Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Traveling Triangle Quilt

Remember this quilt
that I laid out on my living room floor recently?


Well, I decided that it would be a good sewing project to take with me 
on my recent flight to DC.

The only problem with taking a quilt like this to sew on the plane
is that it is difficult to keep the order of the triangles intact.
And since I spent so much time arranging the triangles just the way I wanted them,
I didn't want to risk messing that up.

I have one of these, but it doesn't work well for traveling.

So, this is what I came up with ...


I bought some manilla folders
and stapled some cotton quilt batting to the insides.

Then, I took the first three rows of the quilt
and placed the fabric triangles in order
among 7 or 8 of these folders.
The triangles easily stuck to the batting, which held them all in place
and prevented them from sliding all around in transit.


I purchased this plastic project box to hold the folders in order
and to keep everything together, with a picture of the whole layout
and the sewing directions.

It worked really well 
and made for an easy and inexpensive way to transport this project on the plane!
I was able to sew 27 triangles together ... 
now for the other 1101!

2 comments:

Heather said...

yay! this is so nerdy :). i love it! (i'll HAVE to show sarah this when she returns (germany and switzerland for 3 weeks)! she'll be so jealous even though she doesn't quilt :) - haha!

Sara said...

did you just call me a nerd?!? :o)
it is kinda nerdy ... but it worked, so who cares, right?
i can't believe sarah is travelling AGAIN! she's circling the globe a LOT this year!