Wednesday, April 14, 2010

New Quilts

I am currently working on 2 new quilts :




One is being made from these fabrics.
(This picture is for you, Heather!)



And the other is being made from my scrap basket.

Looking at this picture, I'm pretty sure I'm out of my mind!!!

My mom had started cutting out triangles from her scraps
before she died, and she had two ziploc bags full ... about 360 triangles.
When I read the instructions, I discovered I needed 700 more triangles!  Yipes!



So, I've been - slowly but surely - cutting out more triangles from MY scraps.
I figure that the combination of triangles will be a fun union of mine and my mom's styles.

I've decided to sew this quilt together by hand.
This will be my first attempt at hand-piecing, so we'll see how it goes!
(Again ... I think I might be out of my mind!)
So, I'm sure it will take me ages and ages to finish it,
but it will definitely be an adventure while it lasts!

4 comments:

lieslmade said...

So ambitious! It's going to look great when it's done though!

Sara said...

thanks liesl! i can't wait to make some progress on both of them! and I really can't wait to use up some of my scraps on that triangle one! waste not want not, right?

Heather said...

this will be a really special quilt, sara! i love the idea, and i love that you are hand sewing! wow! what a wonderful heirloom you are making for your family to enjoy for years and years! can't wait to see the finished product! oh, and i love the 2 new black and ivory fabrics you chose! beautiful!

Sara said...

thanks heather! actually, it might either be an heirloom or an unfinished project for my children to complete after i'm gone. ha! who knows if i'll ever finish it, right?
we definitely need to get iChat going, so that we can share projects!