Saturday, December 26, 2009

I Can't Get No Satisfaction ...


The other night, I watched this movie for the first time.


To be honest, I can't believe I hadn't seen it before.
You see ... this movie played a big part in my childhood.


Let me explain.

 When I was a young girl, I was obsessed with Justine Bateman.
Probably because one of my favorite TV shows growing up was Family Ties.
(I know ... I know ... I'm now dating myself severely)

Anyway ... one day, my brother and I discovered
that there was a movie
(this movie, to be exact)
being filmed on the island where we lived.
And
... wouldn't you know ...
Justine Bateman was one of the actors!

We might have stalked the set
trying to get a role as an extra.
We were unsuccessful.

BUT ...
when the movie ended,
my parents were invited to a party to meet the actors.
And they brought my brother and me along.
I was so excited to finally meet Justine Bateman in person.

I might have followed her into the bathroom to get her autograph.
No shame.
She was smoking with a friend,
and told me never to smoke cigarettes.
Not kidding.

I definitely came running out of the bathroom with her autograph in my hand,
and I went straight over to my parents to show them.
They were talking to a man.
My dad proceeded to tell me that I needed to get the man's autograph as well,
because he was going to make it big one day.
I ... trying to be polite ... begrudgingly asked the man for his autograph.
He signed.
He was Liam Neeson.

I'll never forget that day.
It was my first brush with fame.

What I don't understand - after having seen the movie -
is why I didn't realize that Julia Roberts was in that movie, too.
That's right ... Julia Roberts.
THE Julie Roberts.
Seriously??

I wonder if I met her at that party, too,
but didn't realize because I was so excited about meeting Justine Bateman.

CRAZY!

2 comments:

Heather said...

this is a GREAT story!!! hopefully now julia roberts won't appear in one of your dreams and ask you to follow her out onto the roof to get her autograph :).

Sara said...

HYSTERICAL, Heather! :o)