Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fun New Fabric Scraps

I posted on another blog that I read that I was looking for some fresh new (to me) fabric scraps to add to one of my mom's scrap quilts that she started.


She made a lot of progress sewing strips of fabric together for a scrap quilt, but I still have a lot of work to get it finished ...


A fellow reader offered to send some to me, and not long later, this pile of fabric strips came in my mailbox!


This pile of scraps is on its way to her in exchange ... to be used in some doll quilts that she is making.

Thanks, Karen!

2 comments:

Eowyn's Heir said...

what a great idea-- a strip scrap quilt. Sounds like something my great-grandmother would have done as a duh (she was quite a quilter, by necessity). It wasn't so much an art for her as it was how you kept your kids warm in drafty farmhouses in "the River Bottoms" of Depression-era North Louisiana. Funny how now we comfortably warm folk take all the survival techniques and turn them into art. :) Although, I guess they've always been art--straight, even stiches and pretty fabrics have always been valued-- just utilitarian "art." I've been working on some t-shirt quilts (HS graduation gifts) lately, and it's sort of similar I guess.

Sara said...

oh i know ... so funny how things of necessity are now more artistic expressions. my sister in law comes from a long line of quilters, and it's amazing how many old heirloom quilts she has ... wish my family was like that!
can't wait to use all these scraps to make a quilt that will become an heirloom for my descendants. ;o)