Sunday, May 17, 2009

Reason # 253 to use Re-Useable Shopping Bags ...

There are MANY reasons to use Re-Useable Shopping bags ... not the least of which - of course - is to help save the environment by keeping those ugly plastic bags out of our landfills. It's just the right thing to do.

I would use re-useable shopping bags for the first 252 reasons I have come up with in my mind, but, today I found another reason ... and it's a big one ... it saves money, people!

Look at my grocery receipt from this afternoon (below) ... specifically on the line below "Bananas" ...


Yes! That's right! My store gave me a "Bag Credit" of 5 cents for the bag I used! Simple math tells me that if I shop every week (which I do), and average at least 2 bags per trip (which I do), then I will save $5 every year ... without even making an effort. And who knows what other stores will give the same discount!

I mean ... these bags practically pay for themselves!

(By the way ... if you're in the market for some cute, affordable re-useable shopping bags, check out my etsy shop ... there are plenty there for the buying!)

4 comments:

mary said...

My grocery store started doing the same thing this week -- I saved 35 cents this morning! Yay!!!

Red Owl Designs, LLC said...

wow! that's great news Kate! In a year, you could save a TON of money that way!!!

mary said...

Yeah -- each bag cost me 79 cents, so only about 15 weeks until I break even? :-)

Red Owl Designs, LLC said...

that's awesome, kate! then, after that, it's just like free money ...